Prospective MBA Students and MBA Perspective

Today is the first interview day for prospective MBA students here at Judge Business School. The smartly-dressed candidates sat in on our Organisational Behaviour class this morning, and are now heading to lunch with a few of my classmates.

Meanwhile, our class is buzzing - which, more negatively, could read as "stressing" - with the sudden bombardment of end-of-term assignments: a Business Modelling take-home exam, looming CVP presentations, a group Organisational Behaviour presentation, and Management Practice paper all due in the next three weeks, with more fun to come in January.

Seeing the MBA candidates here today, taking our program for a spin, has made me think about my choice to be here. Am I glad I chose this program? Has it been what I expected it to be? What do I wish I had known as a prospective student?

It's a lot to ponder. More than my overstuffed brain will really accommodate at the moment. But, briefly - and then I hope to hear from many of my fabulous classmates in the comments section! - I will say yes, I'm glad I'm here.

And also: this program has been way, way, way, WAY more intense than I anticipated. But I don't blame myself for that. After being out of school for over 5 years, it's tough to really imagine being back in a classroom. And it's nearly impossible to imagine being in a classroom from 9:00-5:30 every single day. I expected the program to be challenging though, and I expected to feel out of my element. Both of those expectations have been thoroughly surpassed. Which is a good thing. Although it's difficult to feel constantly overwhelmed, I know I am getting more out of this experience than I would be getting in a less rigorous program. Perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment, but at least I feel like I'm getting my money's worth!

And what do I wish I had known?

I wish I had known that an 800-year-old University has its quirks that can be quite irritating - especially to a Type A MBA student. Being patient and proactive are pretty darn key around here.

I wish I had known I didn't need to purchase all the textbooks.

I wish I had known I'd be carting my laptop around all day. A backpack is topping my Christmas list this year.

I wish I had known to relax and enjoy the first two weeks a little more, before we had to really buckle down.

But most importantly, I wish I had known how awesome the people would be. I would have been a lot more excited and a lot less nervous at the outset had I known I was going to be a part of such a cool, collaborative community. My classmates are a stellar lot, and getting to spend my days with them has been life-changing for me.

Overall, I have to say that diving into this program has been an exciting journey. Feeling out of my element, out of my league, out of my comfort zone has been a rollercoaster for sure. But seeing the prospective students here today made me feel proud - proud of my school, proud of my class, and proud of myself. Now if only I can keep buzzing - not stressing - through the exam period...

And now I hope to hear from all of you! Judge classmates, are you glad you're here? Have your expectations been met? What do you wish you had known?

Cheers, Jen
Share/Save/Bookmark

Comments

3 Responses to "Prospective MBA Students and MBA Perspective"

Priscilla Li said... 27 November 2008 at 00:50

Hello fellow Cambridgian or Judgian!

To be honest, I can't imagine being anywhere else. It's amazing how accustom we get to old traditions (not in the bureaucratic sense but more like going to formal halls with gowns). It's amazing how we get used to biking through old colleges where nobel prize winners studied. Each day, I do have to remind myself ... to really 'see' what is around me.

I share your same comments about 'had I known this...I would have...' but then again we have 3 quarters of school left. So plenty of time to adjust the sails. One piece of advice last year's class gave was when you can't decide whether to or not to go out and do something .. no matter how tired or exhausted you are.. just do it. Apparently, we can ALWAYS sleep later.

With the workload, I'm stressed too. But being scared once in a while is a good thing. Especially when you are not alone and you have great people to help you if you lose your footing.

Priscilla

P.S. Can't wait for the Lady Judge & Lord Judge Holiday party!

JBS Women said... 27 November 2008 at 15:07

Woohoooooooooooo Lord and Lady Judge! Bring it on! :-)

(And I totally agree with you on other points and appreciate your feedback!)

xoxo
Jen

Jed Christiansen said... 3 December 2008 at 15:36

Great post, Jen. I may quote from it on my blog soon!


Easter Term Events...

9 June, 6:00-7:00PM
Marie Taylor, Personality Coach and Founder, Living Right Now

About Us

We are the women of the 2008-2009 MBA class at Judge Business School, University of Cambridge. We have descended upon Cambridge from all corners of the globe for one crazy year. Join us as we navigate a twelve-month MBA program with a 4:1 male to female ratio at an 800-year-old university. We are in for quite an adventure!

Questions? Comments? Email us at jbswomen08{at}gmail.com!

Our home for the next year...

Our home for the next year...
Judge Business School, University of Cambridge

Like what you see? Then...

Or subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tweeting through our MBA...