Schmoozing Through the MBA

Ah, schmoozing.

The time-honored tradition of MBA students worldwide. Obviously we are not the only good schmoozers around, but schmoozing is truly an integral part of our program, and something to be prepared for if you decide to embark upon an MBA (and the fabulous careers for which we're all destined - we are, right? - thereafter).

Schmoozing is actually in the dictionary as the following: to chat in a friendly and persuasive manner especially so as to gain favor, business, or connections. No pressure, though.

And that's the thing. I love schmoozing. Heck, I was a fundraiser before starting my MBA - and fundraising is all about the schmooze. You have to be able to connect with people in an effective way so they'll fork over their cash. I pride myself on my ability to have a conversation with anyone, and I appreciate that schmoozing is an important skill in which I feel confident (as opposed to, say, modelling the randomization of the effect of hypothetical instability in Nigeria on local and global gas prices... for example).

But there are times when the schmoozing is forced. Perhaps you're tired; perhaps you really have no interest in putting your best MBA student self forward to a stranger. I always feel a bit guilty when I know I should be "working the room" at a reception for a guest speaker or corporate presentation. I'd much rather be talking to friends, and I very often do.

My schmoozing instincts haven't led me astray yet, and I am hoping to nurture my schmoozing skills here while maintaining authenticity. After all, we are meeting some amazing people! Just this week alone, I have schmoozed with the Chairman of Skype, the Director of JBS, the Executive Director of the JBS MBA, three staff members from the marketing department, two wives of classmates, a PhD student in Geography, my CVP client, and many of my fabulous fellow MBAers.

Phew! I'm exhausted just contemplating my week! On to Friday then...

Cheers, Jen
Share/Save/Bookmark

Comments

0 Responses to "Schmoozing Through the MBA"


Easter Term Events...

9 June, 6:00-7:00PM
Marie Taylor, Personality Coach and Founder, Living Right Now

About Us

We are the women of the 2008-2009 MBA class at Judge Business School, University of Cambridge. We have descended upon Cambridge from all corners of the globe for one crazy year. Join us as we navigate a twelve-month MBA program with a 4:1 male to female ratio at an 800-year-old university. We are in for quite an adventure!

Questions? Comments? Email us at jbswomen08{at}gmail.com!

Our home for the next year...

Our home for the next year...
Judge Business School, University of Cambridge

Like what you see? Then...

Or subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tweeting through our MBA...