How I Spent My Winter "Vacation"

Gotta love the Midwestern US of A!

Hello folks,

It's been awhile! But I am finally back to blogging, having returned from a whirlwind winter break and having (um, barely) survived Michaelmas exams. We're already into our Lent term - we had our first Operations Management, Innovation, and Strategy classes this week - but I'd like to take a moment to revisit the gloriousness that was winter break.

Granted, I had bronchitis for most of it. Not to mention the weight of exams hanging over my head. But I still managed to enjoy myself - it was hard not to, considering I was wedding planning!

Yup! As if a full-time, one-year, super-intense MBA programme weren't enough to keep me busy, I am getting married next September in Portsmouth, Rhode Island. So on Christmas Day, I flew to see my mom in Michigan and in the two days following, we, along with my cousin/Maid of Honor, embarked upon The Great Dress Quest of 2008.

Now, planning a wedding during an MBA program might be rather insane, but having to condense wedding dress shopping into two days is completely bonkers. And yet, it also necessitates an exceptional level of focus for which I ended up being quite grateful. I can see how other brides' quests can last days, weeks, even months, and span across cities, counties, even states and countries. But I knew I had just two shops to visit, and my Wedding Dress of Dreams had to be in one of them. There was just no choice.

And, lo and behold, it was! I found my dress at the hilariously and endearingly Midwestern-American shop in the photo above. Despite the fact that I woke up at 6 o'clock that morning in order to get in some Finance review, I did not let my looming exams overshadow my big day and my big dress. 

It's all about keeping a balance, right? It's about doing the best we can in this programme while keeping in mind that there is life - and possibly some satin and lace and sequins and fabulous beading and a lovely train and layers of crinoline - beyond it. Okay, so the lace and sequins might not be for everyone, but the balance should be.

Hoping to keep that in mind as we traipse through the next eight weeks of Lent and on into our Global Consulting Projects...

Jen

Share/Save/Bookmark

Comments

3 Responses to "How I Spent My Winter "Vacation""

Unknown said... 16 January 2009 at 22:08

Love the blog. Very informative.

I wanted to ask your opinion on what college I should request if I attend JBS. I hope to be in a college that is both close to JBS and also has nice, clean housing with modern amenities.

I know that Pembroke, Queens, Hughes, Downing, and St Catharine's are all close-- but is the housing of good quality?

Would love to get your thoughts?

Jen said... 17 January 2009 at 18:54

Hey Richard,

I am in Downing and I love it. I live in a grad-only dorm on the Downing campus and it is apparently some of the best housing there is. The amenities are pretty modern and relatively clean - just depends on your standards. I am super clean and tidy normally, so it's been tough sharing a kitchen with people and whatnot, but my room is en suite which makes a huge difference.

Have you been accepted at JBS? Have you been to visit us? Best of luck with your decision process! If you have any further questions, just drop a line at jbswomen08@gmail.com.

Fabi said... 23 January 2009 at 17:46

Hey Jen,

I've catch up today with my reading of the blog:)
I was missing it!!!!

By the way, I'm very happy to know that you've found your dress. I'm sure it is amazing....You know I did not have much time to look for mine as well, but in just one day and after 3 stores I found my dream dress. when it's meant to be, it's mean to be :)


Easter Term Events...

9 June, 6:00-7:00PM
Marie Taylor, Personality Coach and Founder, Living Right Now

About Us

We are the women of the 2008-2009 MBA class at Judge Business School, University of Cambridge. We have descended upon Cambridge from all corners of the globe for one crazy year. Join us as we navigate a twelve-month MBA program with a 4:1 male to female ratio at an 800-year-old university. We are in for quite an adventure!

Questions? Comments? Email us at jbswomen08{at}gmail.com!

Our home for the next year...

Our home for the next year...
Judge Business School, University of Cambridge

Like what you see? Then...

Or subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tweeting through our MBA...